Garfield County Recycling FAQ's

Q: What type of recyclable material IS accepted?


Wastepaper items including: Cardboard, cartons, liner board, newspaper, magazines, telephone directories, catalogs, discarded mail and envelopes, white and/or colored writing and typing paper, post-it notes, computer paper, packing paper, paper cores, old documents, file folders, bound records and books. No food wrappers or tissue products to be accepted.
Cardboard items including:  Flattened boxes, paper sacks, paper cores from tissue products, paper liner board, beverage and cereal type food cartons.  Box staples and tape are OK.  No waxed or foil coated boxes, plastic box wrappers, liners or packing, metal, plastic, or wood supports to be accepted.
Plastic items including: Bottles and jugs #1 - #7 with each having an opening smaller than its bottom, any color except black, rinsed clean with lids removed and disposed of.  No petroleum, pesticide or herbicide jugs or bottles, plastic tubs, dishes or bags to be accepted!
Metal items including: “Open” aluminum and tin beverage and food containers up to 1 gallon in size. Please remove paper labels and dispose of tin lids. No loose metal lids or containers used to contain pressurized agents, paint, fuels, pesticides or explosives to be accepted.

Q: Why do recycling firms place restrictions on the types of plastics they will accept for recycling, if accepting them at all?

A: The acceptance for the various types of plastics does vary from one recycling firm to another. The three most common reasons have to do with processing space requirements, regional marketability and liquid residues. Plastics represent the largest challenge for most recycling processors.

Q: How do I identify the type of plastic that a container is made from?

A: With plastic containers the only way to tell is by the number code (#1 - #7) in the triangle on or near the bottom. This code represents the resin used by the manufacturer to make the container, but does not represent resins used in the lid, spout or dispenser.

Q: What happens to recycled plastic once processed and shipped?

A: The various types of plastics Lewis Clark Recyclers accepts and processes are used in a wide range of manufacturing applications including the following:

  • Interior automobile components
  • Computer and entertainment cabinets
  • Play ground equipment and toys
  • Plastic bags and packaging
  • Kitchen appliances and fixtures
  • Carpeting, clothing and tool handles
  • Plastic lumber, siding and pipe
  • Window frames and tub enclosures
  • Outdoor furniture
  • Parking stops and roadside markers

FYI: It takes 14 liter bottles to make a single T-shirt.

Q: Why must you remove and dispose of lids from plastic containers prior to recycling?

A: There are 2 reasons: (1) Lids are usually made from a different type of plastic than the container and secondary markets prohibit lids in most cases. (2) Lids on a container suggest the likelihood of remnants remaining inside and containers must be empty/clean prior to processing for secondary use. Please remove and discard lids and empty plastic containers prior to recycling them!

Q: Do you have to remove paper or plastic labels or sleeves from your recyclable PLASTIC containers?

A: NO, these are removed during the final cleaning process by the secondary manufacturer.

Q: Where can one recycle plastic bags which are commonly used for retail merchandise or dry cleaning packaging?

A: Simply return them to the store or laundry service that put your goods in them as part of the sale.

Q: What are the benefits of recycling wastepaper?

A: Waste paper as defined above represents over 65% of all waste generated in the home, schools, offices and most businesses. Recycling 80% of all generated waste paper reduces landfill waste by more than 45 percent. This means disposal savings, prolonging landfill space and reduced pressure on natural resource (forest/tree) consumption.

Q: What types of wastepaper are accepted for recycling?

A: All types of paper:  plain, colored, printed, stapled, glued, dyed, coated or shredded. This includes cardboard, cartons, newspaper, magazines, telephone directories, catalogs, mail and envelopes, writing and typing paper, post-it notes, computer paper, packing paper, old documents, file folders, bound records and even books.

Q: What types of paper are NOT accepted?

A: Paper containers, boxes, plates or cups that contain remnants of food waste, blood, body fluids, animal waste, liners, wax, foil, sprayed on paint or wet residual substances. Please, NO used tissue napkin or hand towel products!

Q: What becomes of recycled paper once it is processed and shipped?

A: Paper processed by Lewis Clark Recyclers is used in a wide range of new manufactured paper products (once ink and coatings are removed) by various secondary industry consumers. These recycled paper applications include the following:

  • Cardboard and linerboard boxes
  • Newspaper, magazines, catalogs & books
  • Telephone and trade directories
  • Paper sacks, packing and wrapping paper
  • Printing and writing papers
  • Tissue and hand towel products
  • Hydro-seeding, blow-in insulation
  • Sound proofing and ceiling tile

Q: Where can the public sell recyclable paper and cans?

A: Pacific Steel and Recycling of Lewiston, Id or Moscow Recycling of Moscow, Id or Spokane Recycling of Spokane, Wa. Call them for price quotes.

Q: Where can the public recycle appliances, bicycles, clothes and furniture?

A: The Garfield County Transfer Station, Asotin County landfill and The City of Lewiston solid waste transfer station. Sutton Salvage and Pacific Steel and Recycling accept Freon-free appliances. Goodwill Industries, Salvation Army and St.Vincent DePaul collection centers accept old clothes, house wares and furniture that still have useful life. 

Q: Where or how does the public dispose of (or) recycle old automobiles, trucks and other unwanted motorized equipment?

A: Call Forrest Auto Wrecking or Sutton Salvage. Depending on the vintage, location and condition there may be a fee for acceptance and/or removal.

Q: Where can motor oil, paint, household hazardous waste, antifreeze, batteries and old tires be properly disposed of or recycled?

A: City or County operated solid waste transfer stations and landfills have such facilities. Always call before you go, as different sites or facilities have different requirements.

For more info visit:


Admin Login

Content Copyright 2008-2018, Garfield County | Contact Us