Do I Need a Building Permit?

When do I need a building permit?

105.1 Required Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system. The installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

105.1.1 Annual permit. In lieu of an individual permit for each alteration to an already approved electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing installation the building official is authorized to issue an annual permit upon application therefore to any person, form or corporation regularly employing one or more qualified tradepersons in the building, structure or on the premises owned or operated by the applicant for the permit.

105.1.2 Annual permit records. The person to whom an annual permit is issued shall keep a detailed record of alterations made under such annual permit. The building official shall have access to such records at all times or such records shall be filed with the building official as designated.

105.2 Work exempt from permit. Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:


1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (11m2).
2. Fences not over 6 feet (1829mm) high.
3. Oil derricks.
4. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or IIIA liquids.
5. Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18,925L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1.
6. Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches (762mm) above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.
7. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
8. Temporary motion picture, television and theatre stage sets and scenery
9. Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that are less than 24 inches (610mm) deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons (18,925L) and are installed entirely above ground.
10. Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems.
11. Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one-and two-family dwellings.
12. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches (1372mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of Group R-3 and U occupancies.
13. Nonfixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches (1753mm) in height.

Admin Login

Content Copyright 2008-2018, Garfield County | Contact Us